2015
06.01

Chris Rogers (Photo via radioaustralia.net.au)

Australia opener Chris Rogers has been ruled out of the first Test against the West Indies with concussion after being hit in the head during training.

Veteran opener Chris Rogers has been ruled out of this week’s opening Test against the West Indies, due to concussion.

The 37-year-old was struck in the helmet by a nets bowler at training on Sunday and showed signs of concussion including headache and dizziness.

Rogers was assessed by doctor Peter Brukner at the team hotel in Dominica and a follow-up assessment on Monday showed signs of concussion were persisting.

In line with Cricket Australia’s guidelines, the doctor made the decision to rule Rogers out of the Test, which starts on Thursday morning (AEST), delivering the news to the opener alongside coach Darren Lehmann and captain Michael Clarke at training.

“He won’t be returning to training until he’s fully recovered,” Brukner said.

“He’ll have a return-to-play process, once he’s symptom-free, of a few days gradually increasing his activity before he gets back to it.”

Brukner said he expects Rogers to be recovered in time for the second Test in Jamaica next week.

It is the first time since Rogers recall to the Test team in 2013 that he has missed a match for Australia.

His absence throws up a number of selection issues.

Shaun Marsh, who made a century as an opener in last week’s tour match in Antigua, is almost certain to take his spot in the order.

His elevation means 35-year-old Adam Voges could come into contention to make his Test debut.

Another option would be to pick Marsh’s younger brother Mitchell Marsh as a second all-rounder alongside Shane Watson, another prospective opening partner for David Warner.

Australia is not expected to finalise its team before the coin toss of the series opener.

- radioaustralia.net.au

Other News

No Comment.

Add Your Comments:



*